WP7 Azure Toolkit questions

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:39 AM

First of all, I would like to give you a big thank you for doing this toolkit for the WP7. Here is my context and my problems.

What a want to do

From my WP7, I want to create files (ex.: result1.html, result2.html) in the Windows Azure Blob using the WP7 Azure Toolkit. I do not need authentication system.

What I tried

1-      I tried the sample provided, it worked perfectly locally.

2-      I tried to use the CloudBlobClient(string containerBaseAddress, IStorageCredentials) with switching comment where required, but I faced problem with the containderBaseAddress. The documentation does not specify this usage.

3-      I tried to create an Empty Cloud project using my account data. When I tried to deploy the hosted service, I was asked to provide a “pfx” certificate. I did not know what to do here.

Is there a way to create a file without an authentication system using this toolkit?

Thank you in advanced

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Hi Sébastien -

The WindowsPhoneCloud.StorageClient library for WP7 supports working with the Windows Azure Storage services directly without needing to interact with the toolkit’s services; however, this scenario is still not documented in the first release.  If this is what you want, take into account that you will need to store your Windows Azure Storage account information (name and key) in your phone application (which is not a particularly secure scenario).

For your convenience, here's a sample application that showcases this scenario. Notice that I have removed the Web role project from the solution, added new resources in the App.xaml file and made some configuration changes.  You can download it from https://wazmobiletoolkit.blob.core.windows.net/public/WP7CloudAppWithoutToolkitServices.zip.

Depending on feedback, we may (or may not) further document or showcase this use case with additional samples.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Awesome, it is working fine for me! Thank you very much for your help.

I guess it is dangerous to leave the password in the WP7 app since all apps can be used in Reflector…

Thanks again!