Error Creating WP7

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I'm getting the following error after installing the Toolkit, during the creation of a Windows Phone 7 Cloud Application:

A problem was encountered creating the sub project

'WP7CloudApp1.Services'. The project file

'C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Local\Temp\snvpqzls.i13\Temp\WP7CloudApp1.Services.csproj' cannot be opened.

The project type is not supported by this installation.

The WP7CloudApp1 Web Role and WP7CloudApp1.Phone project are created just fine. I was thinking that this could be a permissions issue, however I am running VS2010 as administrator. Any suggestions?

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2011 at 5:55 AM

Sorry for the trouble you're having.  A few questions:

1. Do you have any problems running standard Windows Azure projects?
  2. If you can reproduce this error, can you look in the folder and see if the .csproj file exists?
  3. If you try this multiple times, does the problem persist?

It definitely sounds like a permissions issue - I think the new project wizard is unable to write some temporary files we need to disk during the project creation.  I'll open a work item - it'd be great if you can share any additional information.

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2011 at 5:56 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Mar 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM
1. No, I have done several demos for clients using standard Azure project types. The web role project is being created here as well.
2. I have reproduced this a number of times, using both the empty WP7 Azure and WP7 Azure project types. Each time the folder is created, but it is empty.
3. See 2

On Mar 29, 2011, at 1:55 AM, "wwegner" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Sorry for the trouble you're having. A few questions:

1. Do you have any problems running standard Windows Azure projects?
  2. If you can reproduce this error, can you look in the folder and see if the .csproj file exists?
  3. If you try this multiple times, does the problem persist?

It definitely sounds like a permissions issue - I think the new project wizard is unable to write some temporary files we need to disk during the project creation. I'll open a work item - it'd be great if you can share any additional information.

May 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I have the same issue on both my environments.

The answers are the same:

1. No, I don't;

2. Folder is empty;

3. The proplem still here.

Coordinator
May 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Hey guys,

Sorry for the trouble you're having.

The "The project type is not supported by this installation" error for the .Web project sounds like Visual Studio 2010 does not recognize the ASP.NET MVC 2 project type.  It may be possible that you have installed the ASP.NET MVC 2 runtime but not its project templates. To check this, could you please try the following?

• Verify that you can create a new ASP.NET MVC 2 Web Application project in Visual Studio 2010. To do this, open Visual Studio 2010, point to File -> New -> Project. In the New Project dialog, select Visual C# (or Visual Basic) -> Web -> ASP.NET MVC 2 Web Application and click OK.
  • Verify that you are able to create a new Windows Azure Project with an ASP.NET MVC 2 Web Role using the New Windows Azure Project wizard.
  • Verify that the ASP.NET MVC 2 projects created by Visual Studio 2010 have the following ProjectTypeGuids values when the .csproj files are opened with Notepad:
    <ProjectTypeGuids>{F85E285D-A4E0-4152-9332-AB1D724D3325};{349c5851-65df-11da-9384-00065b846f21};{fae04ec0-301f-11d3-bf4b-00c04f79efbc}</ProjectTypeGuids>

If you couldn’t verify any of the previous bullets, it means that you do not have the ASP.NET MVC 2 project templates installed (or you have an older version of them). We haven’t found yet an easy way to check and install only the ASP.NET MVC 2 project templates through our Configuration Wizard included in the toolkit. It seems that there is no standalone installer for the ASP.NET MVC 2 project templates that targets Visual Studio 2010 (but only through the Visual Studio 2010 setup).

Thanks,
Wade

May 19, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Hi wwegner,

You have a point. I really do not have installed ASP.NET MVC 2 Web Application tempalte in my Visual Studio 2010. I have deleted it after MVC 3 had been released.

So, I will try to install it again and let you know. I think the problem is in it.

May be it is a reason to improve the Detecting Required Sofware step in the Configuration Wizard of Windows Azure Toolkit for WP7

Best Regards, Oleg

May 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Wade, Others,

I will face the same fate then.  I tried and tried to find MVC 3 and have not been able to find the installer so far, so went ahead with MVC 3. Was a subject I was about to try.

Any direct link to MVC 2?  The ASP.NET site is thriving with 3 but not 2.

Thanks,

Coordinator
May 19, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Hey guys -

Unfortunately, we haven't found a good way to check that the MVC 2 templates are there so that we can add to the dependency checker.  We'll keep at it.

The only place I've seen to find MVC 2 is through the Web Platform Installer: http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Wade

May 20, 2011 at 8:35 AM

I have install ASP.NET MVC 2 Tools for VS 2010 and this solve the issue.

I got the installation package from the VS 2010 installation. It placed under \VS2010\WCU\ASPNETMVC\VS2010ToolsMVC2.msi

May 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM
OlegBurov wrote:

I have install ASP.NET MVC 2 Tools for VS 2010 and this solve the issue.

I got the installation package from the VS 2010 installation. It placed under \VS2010\WCU\ASPNETMVC\VS2010ToolsMVC2.msi

Where is the "Like Posting" button?  hehe

ty Oleg!