Upgrading to 1.2. Tips? Things to consider?

May 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM
Hi all,

Last week I attended the WP7 accelerator lab in Dallas. There, had some trouble installing the toolkit on my laptop (and still cannot make the sample work on a live Azure installation) and had major, major trouble installing on my desktop PC (VS total reinstall). All of that in order to install the toolkit :D which I really want to use.

So the question is, the best path to upgrading (after a full backup for sure) would be to uninstall and reinstall, upgrade on top of the other? What would be of the templates?  Any advice?

Thanks!

May 19, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Hey I had some trouble upgrading but eventually succeeded, here's what I did :

- I did not uninstall anything - the libraries are actually just copied into C:/waztoolkitforwp7, I ran the new .exe for 1.2 and the ran cmd. At that point I got an error in the dependency checker
- I installed the Windows Identity Foundation SDK from here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c148b2df-c7af-46bb-9162-2c9422208504&displaylang=en
- When I rebuilt my app, build failed as the some client classes are modified in the storage client library. Just update the references in your project to point to the new 1.2 classes, and you should be OK.
- What I then did is create a new app using the new templates so as to access the new client wizard that allows you to enable notifications in the app and choose between Membership or ACL for authentication.

side note : I also downloaded an read this awesome paper by Dave Chapell to understand claims-based identity :
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.microsoft.com%2Fdownload%2F7%2FD%2F0%2F7D0B5166-6A8A-418A-ADDD-95EE9B046994%2FClaims-Based%2520Identity%2520for%2520Windows.pdf&ei=jODUTb2dF9Hzsgb83aiKDA&usg=AFQjCNEb8E6mYON5bQpViGqtkfOucy39AA
Made things crystal clear for me.

Hope it helps!

Yacine

Coordinator
May 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Sorry for your troubles.  Can you download and try out the v1.2.1 release of the toolkit?  We fixed a number of bugs that were reported.  Once you try this, can you provide some more details regarding any troubles you experience?

Yacine, thanks for providing this additional information!

May 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM
Edited May 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM

No problem, I've actually modified an existing WP7 app to use the toolkit, it works fine. The app previously accessed a SQL DB through a custom OData service on a local server. In the new version the data is stored in azure tables and blobs, and uses ASP.NET membership and SAS for authentication.  (Note that I've temporarily removed the tombstoning code from the app so that wouldn't create hidden issues). If anyone is interested in seeing the application just let me know.

I installed v1.2.1, the app is still running fine, but I haven't yet used ACS - that's next on my TODO list.

Yacine

May 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Definitely!  :D

May 19, 2011 at 8:59 PM

drop me a line at yacine-khammal at pluralsight dotcom