windows azure toolkit help

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Hi ,

I have downloaded and installed the toolkit successfully. I have followed all the steps mentioned in the video by wade and created an Windows Phone Cloud Application using  Visual Studio web developer express and visual studio express for windows phone. The sample application is running fine with out doing any modifications. Its able to receive Microsoft  push notifications and upload pictures to blob storage. But If I want to develop my own application to access the blob storage, table storage and SQL storage how to do it with the toolkit. I m pretty much confused here where to write my code with the help of toolkit. Is it like I have to select windows phone empty cloud application and start development from scratch and the app created by selecting windows phone cloud app is just for demo purpose ? . Since I m very new to azure please help me out.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Hi,

I'm currently developing a course on the toolkit for Pluralsight that answers these kinds of questions. The course should be published early February, it will only be available to Pluralsight members, but you can request a free trial from them if you'd like.  In the meantime, here's a sample demo from the course that should help you get started :

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=72ad381d14accb2f&resid=72AD381D14ACCB2F!353&parid=72AD381D14ACCB2F!352&authkey=!AGMK7puthvAwiA0  

Hope this helps

Yacine Khammal

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

That's looking really good, Yacine. Love it!

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:46 PM

thanks a lot for the wonderful video. It would be great if you could provide me the sample code also.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Here's the code for you to download :

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=72ad381d14accb2f&resid=72AD381D14ACCB2F!365&parid=72AD381D14ACCB2F!352&authkey=!AAz7vV9vd7mRi38

cheers

Yacine

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Wow thanks a ton, yacine for your help. Cant wait for the tutorials to get published at Pluralsight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM

sorry to bother again. While running the application I m getting the following error "SEHException was unhandled by user code" in this part of the code 

CloudStorageAccount.SetConfigurationSettingPublisher((configName, configSetter) =>            {                // Provide the configSetter with the initial value.                configSetter(RoleEnvironment.GetConfigurationSettingValue(configName));            });

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I'm not getting that error on my machine, the solution is running fine
Do you have all 3 projects (cloud, phone and web) in VS ?
Did you start the cloud project first by doing Debug - > new instance ?
Did your Azure compute and storage emulator start successfully on your machine ? (see your taskbar)
Sounds like a configuration issue

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Actually I dont have Visual Studio Ultimate installed in my machine .So I m trying to run the web application in Visual Studio 2010 web developer express and the phone application in visual studio 2010 Express for windows phone. While trying to run the web application only I m getting this error.  

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM

hum not sure what's going on, I dont have VS Express installed so I can't repro the problem. Have you tried commenting out this code block to see if the app runs ?

// This code sets up a handler to update CloudStorageAccount instances when their corresponding
            // configuration settings change in the service configuration file.
            CloudStorageAccount.SetConfigurationSettingPublisher((configName, configSetter) =>
            {
                // Provide the configSetter with the initial value
                configSetter(RoleEnvironment.GetConfigurationSettingValue(configName));

RoleEnvironment.Changed += (sender, arg) =>
                {
                    if (arg.Changes.OfType<RoleEnvironmentConfigurationSettingChange>()
                        .Any((change) => (change.ConfigurationSettingName == configName)))
                    {
                        // The corresponding configuration setting has changed, propagate the value
                        if (!configSetter(RoleEnvironment.GetConfigurationSettingValue(configName)))
                        {
                            // In this case, the change to the storage account credentials in the
                            // service configuration is significant enough that the role needs to be
                            // recycled in order to use the latest settings. (for example, the 
                            // endpoint has changed)
                            RoleEnvironment.RequestRecycle();
                        }
                    }
                };
            });

The purpose of this code is to allow for config changes to be applied when the app is running in the cloud without having to redeploy , so you should be able to run the app locally with this commented out

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM

thanks for your input. I will try to comment the code and run.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM

hi yacine 

I was able to launch the application successfully.  But when I launch the application the contact list is empty. I feel there is no data populated in my table storage please let me know where should I populate the fields to fetch the contact list. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Here's another demo that creates a couple of sample contacts :

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=72ad381d14accb2f&resid=72AD381D14ACCB2F!366&parid=72AD381D14ACCB2F!352&authkey=!ALaeVdeO2Rs7GEg

Just replace this line :

EnsureContactsTableCreated();

with:

EnsureContactsTableCreated(true);

Once you run demo1, you should have a couple contacts in your Contacts table, then you can run demo3 again

cheers

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

thanks a lot for the help again. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM

it would be great if you can provide me the tutorial for demo1 also. I m sure that this is the last thing I m asking for ... sorry for the trouble 

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:48 PM

the demo1 solution loads only phone project and it does not respond when I click new contact. Do you create the sample data when you run the cloud application itself

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Sorry it was my mistake exverything is working fine and well. I installed visual studio ultimate and then windows phone 7.1 sdk then the azure toolkit. Then opened your project in visual studio ultimate and built the solution. Then deployed it it worked fine. Thanks for your support. You are great 

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Glad it worked, the complete course should be ready to be published this coming week, I'm wrapping up a module on blobs and queues. I'll put a post up here when it's online

Cheers!